Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Blog Hop # 12: Being Thankful

Stitching the Night Away Stitching Bloggers Blog Hop

This prompt for #12 is:  
When it comes to the stitching part of your life, what are you most thankful for?

Wow! There is so much for me to be thankful for, and given that this week is Thanksgiving, I find myself more reflective than normal. House, food, family, love, my dreams and goals - that's just a small list of things I am thankful for. 

However, to include my stitching in this opens up an entirely new train of thoughts. I'm grateful that I have a hobby that I can afford. Being able to fund my passion is always a great thing. 

I am so thankful that my stitching allows me to get away from all of the stress and chaos that goes on around me. I love that I not only have the ability to "unplug" from the world, but I am able to create something. It's a great feeling to see the end result of my time and have decorations or presents for others.

Another thing I am thankful for is the people I have met. While most people do not stay in my life and there are countless others I do not know because of Facebook, it is great to chat with others who have the same hobby and learn new techniques, tips, and get information on projects I never knew existed. While it is a "faceless" group of people that I will probably never meet in person, it has been great for me to see that their lives are similar to my own. It's always helpful to know you are not the only one going through trials, and again, to share an outlet for this stress is great!

I've moved a number of times, but only once was there a Local Needlework Shop. It did help me to acclimate to the new area, but I have found that just having my supplies in my new home or location helps tremendously especially since cross-stitching is not a big thing here in California. There just aren't many LNS. I just love being able to have "my" things hear me, and again, I'm thankful to have the items as well as the comfort of the hobby. I remember when I had to give up everything after leaving my now ex-husband. It was horrible to lose so many of my possessions, but not having anything to stitch really made it more difficult for me when I obtained my own apartment again. I was so thankful and happy to make my first purchase again after the separation, and I realized quickly how much easier it was to adjust to the new life and it gave me the ability to help my daughters more with their transition as well.  (I have made up for all of the lost stitching supplies and now have more than what I lost - the loss of my girls' baby pictures is still something that grates, but I've learned to deal with it.)

Which brings me to my ultimate "Thanks" - for so many reasons, I am thankful to Ken. Without him, I would not have the "things" that I desire in life but his love and total support makes my life enjoyable and possible. He and I have many similar interests, but while he does not try stitching himself, he is supportive of my hobby as I am his of wood working. It's great to know that I can count on him for anything and everything, but it's also great to be able to enjoy my hobby with him supporting me from the sidelines.

I can't wait to see what others have written about this prompt....

Visit all the blogs in this round of the Stitching the Night Away Stitching Blogger Blog Hop:
Find the instructions on how to participate in this round by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a wonderful stress reliever, and it's great to hear your story. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

You comments are welcome, appreciated, and motivate me! Thank you!